Sikh's Lawsuit Claims California Gun Control Laws Stop Him from Freely Practising His Religion

by Gursant Singh ⌂ @, Yuba City California USA, Monday, March 18, 2013, 16:21 (4029 days ago)
edited by Gursant Singh, Thursday, April 11, 2013, 17:20

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Tel: 505 903 2675
Email: Gurusant@hotmail.com

See these links on facebook & YouTube for a continuation of this statement and discussion:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10200816750680458&l=bc3cda54ca

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZonKALmiSXo
[image]

March 12th 2013, - Today Gursant Singh Khalsa, a follower of the Sikh faith for 35 years, filed a lawsuit against the State of California in Federal Court, claiming that the State of California's gun control laws are stopping him from fully practising his religion by restricting his possession and use of assault rifles and high capacity magazines. Singh states in his complaint, "Decrees from the Tenth Sikh Guru state in the most vigorous and clear words that a Sikh's conception of God is the sword of dharma. Not only had the sword but every weapon became an attributive symbol of God for Sikhs."
"I salute the weapons of all Names ||
I salute the Arms of all Kinds ||"
Guru Gobind Singh Ji, Sri Dasam Granth Sahib
Singh says, "It is therefore incumbent on Sikhs to carry handguns and have ready access to assault rifles in today's modern society where we face armed violent criminals and hate mongers! When I moved to California from New Mexico, I was shocked that California will not allow loaded guns in any car and limits 10 rounds to an ammunition magazine. What happens if there is a shooting like the one in Wisconsin where a gunman killed six Sikh worshipers at their temple? I have tried-out for the US Olympic shooting team five times and I know if I had an assault rifle with twenty or thirty rounds in the magazine, the gunman in Wisconsin could have been stopped more quickly and lives saved. I think California's gun laws stop me from freely practising my religion which teaches that it is our duty as Sikhs to put up the strongest defense possible using modern handguns and assault rifles with high capacity magazines.
-30-

For questions about the lawsuit contact Gursant Singh, email Gurusant@Hotmail.com or call 505-903-2675.

Some Sikhs have accused me of using quotations exclusively from the Dasam Granth in justifying a Sikh's responsibility to use modern weapons like assault rifles to defend those that cannot defend themselves in today's society against violent attackers. We all agree that Siri Guru Granth Sahib Ji is our living Guru and the ultimate authority. However, Sikhi is not only based on SGGS. To give you just one example, Khalsa and the ceremony of amrit sanchar are nowhere mentioned therein (other than the word “Khalsa” occurring in one shabad by Bhagat Kabir ji).

Another example: of the five shabads required for amrit sanchar and for a devout Khalsa to recite every day, only two are in SGGS. Does this mean that the other three are not Gurbani?

Also, to follow these detractors' arguments to their logical conclusion would mean that the teachings of the sixth, seventh, eighth and tenth gurus have no authority because they are not included in SGGS.

We have had some discussion before about the Rehit Namey – the “does and don’ts” if you will, written by some of the Gurus and others who were close to the Gurus.

Whatever these detractors think of the Sikh Reht Maryada (SRM), when it was compiled, those who did it took careful note of all possible sources of direction for the Panth and weighed them up as regards to their validity and authenticity. There is tradition, precedent and often written records behind the SRM. Would these detractors argue that these things are somehow invalid because they are not written in SGGS?

These detractors seem to be suggesting that ONLY what is written in SGGS is Gurbani. Does this mean that we ignore the many teachings of the Guru Sahiban whose words were NOT placed in SGGS?

This would mean that the whole concept of Khalsa, the 5 “K’s”, the Panj Bani, the Panj Pyare, and many other things, are not divinely ordained and therefore invalid in the detractor's eyes.

Personally I think the words of Guru Gobind Singh ji regarding weapons are very clear. If these detractors would like some confirmation from another source here is an extract from the first time Guru Hargobind Sahib addressed his Sikhs:

"Today the offerings that are beloved to me are good weapons and good youth. If you want my happiness, then exercise your bodies, wrestle, play gatka, go into the jungles to hunt and learn to ride horses. Weakness is now a crime to the Nation that cannot be forgiven for anyone. You will take up the sword and I now wear the sword so that the swords of tyranny and oppression will stop forever.

You have all come from far and wide today. The cool tranquility has been stolen from not just your heart and my heart, but from the entire world. Our swords will not rest until we bring this oppression to an end."

Finally, these detractors say that Guru Gobind Singh Ji said that those who worship him will go straight to hell. What Guru Ji actually said was “Those who say that I am God…….." I would never say this. Not, for that matter, have I ever worshiped Guru Gobind Singh ji. I consider that I am only following a well-documented and recorded instruction to carry weapons given by the Tenth Guru which is not worshiping him; but rather serving him.

see these links on facebook & YouTube for a continuation of this statement and discussion:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10200816750680458&l=bc3cda54ca

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZonKALmiSXo
[image]