Legal Infighting within Yogi Bhajan's organizations

by Gursant Singh ⌂ @, Yuba City California USA, Friday, June 11, 2010, 13:16 (5068 days ago) @ Gursant Singh

Just read in these letters the infighting that is going on in the 3HO Sikh community and decide for yourself if the Tantric yoga Yogi Bhajan taught his students is damaging or not.
Please read an Excerpt below taken from

"Sikhism and Tantric Yoga"
by Dr. Trilochan Singh (Link to entire book)

Dear Brothers and Sisters of the Khalsa Council,
One last comment if I may, not directly related to the lawsuit itself. Of course I am concerned about the apparent self-dealing and abandonment of duty issues involving the family businesses and the huge amount of money involved. But as myself, many as you no doubt feel the greatest concern for preserving the sanctity of the Dharma and the teachings of our Teacher. From this last email from these five persons appointed by the UI Board, it is increasingly obvious what really is happening here, how it happened and what the long-term consequences will look like if they prevail. Frankly, what has happened here: UI found five turban-wearing members of the Khalsa Council who they could make a deal with. "Support our authority and enforce our organizational decisions and in return we will give you control of anything involving the world of 3HO,the teachings of Yogi Bhajan, Kundalini Yoga, the Khalsa Council, and ultimately the Dharma itself. We don't want to get our hands dirty with those things anyhow because we've disavowed all that in our own lives (although we haven't disavowed the love of money). So you take care of us and we'll take care of you, because we really need each other (at least for now) to get what we want." For those of us who are sports fans, we know that as "The Fix is In." This was decided and continues to be decided (for us) behind closed doors. I know this is very uncomfortable for those of you who really, want to believe that everybody's intentions and points of view are equally valid and have to be respected as such. It's very difficult to believe that those we've laughed, cried and prayed with for decades are capable of this level of duplicity. Believe me, my heart has broken many times over this just like you. But as we like to say, "it is what it is". It's going to get increasingly hard for people to not take a side in this, as the envelope will continue to be pushed (evidenced by this letter from Ek Ong Kaar). And as my sister Haribhajan Kaur courageously stated in her email, I will definitely be there in April for KC meetings with those fellow members who were appointed by the SSS to represent this Dharma. On the other hand, I have no intention whatsoever of attending any so-called KC meeting called by self-appointed imposters (actually worse than that, appointed by people who cavalierly abandoned the Dharma). Sorry for the bluntness of this message, but really what else is there to say ?

Blessings,
S.S. Hari Nam Singh
Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, March 18, 2010 7:01 PM
Subject: SDI Update: Khalsa Council Meetings

March 18, 2010

Dear beloved members of the Khalsa Council,

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.

Amidst many challenges, we are given a tremendous opportunity to transcend our differences and to see the God in all (or not see God at all). The Siri Singh Sahib, in a 1980 interview, defined Khalsa as:
"…a body of people who believe in the purity and spirituality of existence and in the honesty of work. Khalsa simply means pure. Sovereign means free from Maya and illusion. It’s a very simple ethic. We do not limit ourselves because of political boundaries, beliefs or garments. We feel the spirit flows freely and everybody has the right to learn to be happy."

We are writing to update you that on Friday, March 12th , the Oregon State Circuit Court of Multnomah County affirmed the legality of recent actions taken by the Sikh Dharma Stewardship. It also affirmed that the new Sikh Dharma International board is legally in control and responsible for Sikh Dharma.

Given this clarity by the court, and given the relatively short time frame between now and the spring meetings for Khalsa Council, Sikh Dharma International has chosen to cancel the Khalsa Council Spring meetings, and to reconvene in the Fall of 2010.

Even though there is potential litigation still pending, it is our prayer that this clarity by the court is the first step in a journey of healing for all of us. The Siri Singh Sahib’s specific advice for this time after he passed was "not to judge each other, and to work together." We welcome any recommendations that the Khalsa Council has for how to move forward into the future that we may meditate and communicate to create unity and vibrate together in the frequency that we can see our infinite Creator in all.

The Siri Singh Sahib explained in the same 1980 interview:
"…My mission is to live the teachings and to reveal the teachings so through the ages they will be picked up. That’s what I am doing - I have no other mission. I have to leave behind a very practical science whereby people can become intuitively intelligent and can take care of their own lives, their own purpose and be happy …”

We are "a close knit and cohesive family and everybody of all kinds and types are family to us. There is no orphan for us in the world. Whatever wisdom we have belongs to all and to whoever needs it. We want everyone to establish their own businesses. Each individual is free and has his own private assets. We want each person to live well, live royally, and be a yogi."

We encourage all Khalsa Council members to celebrate Baisakhi in their local communities, and especially to support the Sikh Dharma of Los Angeles Baisakhi celebration on April 4th , dedicating this time to prayer and renewal.

May Guru Ram Das bless you and guide you now and forever. In the Name of the Cosmos which prevails through everyBODY, and the Holy Nam which holds the world.

Humbly yours,

The Sikh Dharma International Board of Directors
Sat Nam and blessings to all.

On Friday, March 12th, the Multnomah County Circuit Court in Portland, Oregon
heard oral arguments in the case of the members of Sikh Dharma International
vs. the members of Unto Infinity LLC. The plaintiffs are SDI, SS Sardarni
Guru Amrit Kaur, MSS Hari Dharam Kaur, SS Avtar Hari Singh, MSS Guru Raj Kaur,
SS Guru Sangat Kaur and MSS GuruTej Singh. Friday’s hearing concerned the
issue of the plaintiffs’ standing to pursue the claims in this case, and the
defendants’ motion to dismiss the case.

The court did not issue a ruling on standing at the hearing. Instead, the
judge will issue a preliminary written statement on standing in the near
future based on the documents previously filed by both sides and the arguments
made in court yesterday. The court also did not rule on the remainder of
defendants' motion to dismiss the complaint.

However, the Court did rule that the UIB, as the member of SDI has the
technical and legal right (without getting into the merits of the case), to
remove the board members of SDI. With this ruling, the removal and replacement
of the SDI board by UI and SDS will be in effect for the duration of the case.
What this means for the legal case is that SDI will no longer be included as a
plaintiff. The plaintiff will now be the individual persons. The court is
allowing the case to move forward. The individual plaintiffs will be filing a
second amended complaint that no longer includes the corporate entity SDI as a
plaintiff. The court set a new hearing date of May 14 for argument on any
motions against the second amended complaint that will be filed.

The removal of SDI as a plaintiff has no bearing on the merits or outcome of
the case. The issues in the lawsuit, which include conversion of non-profit
assets to individual purposes, breach of fiduciary duties, fraud, and
self-dealing, were not considered in this ruling, and the discovery process
will continue. The issue of standing must be determined before moving on to
these issues.

The Court Order from last week, stipulating that the net proceeds of the sale
of the cereal division of Golden Temple will remain in escrow and no funds
will be released until the court case has been heard in its entirety, will
remain in effect. We are grateful for that victory. Were it not for the
discovery process of this lawsuit, our community would still be completely in
the dark about the change of ownership of Golden Temple in 2007, whereby GT
management purportedly purchased 90% of the ownership of the business for
$100, and the current imminent sale of the cereal division. As a result of
last week’s court order, the monies from this sale will be protected for the
duration of the case.

Friday’s ruling was challenging, but we trust that God and Guru are guiding
the way. The former board members and officers of SDI will continue serving
our Sikh Dharma community through the vehicle of Sikh Dharma Worldwide. We and
our legal counsel are confident that our case against UIB is strong, and
although the legal process is sometimes long and cumbersome, our case will
prevail. We will follow up with additional communications within the next few
days to address some of the questions that will be coming up. Meanwhile, your
prayers that the highest good will prevail are gratefully appreciated.

Blessings,

SS Gurujot Kaur Khalsa

Secretary General

Sikh Dharma Worldwide
Sadh Sangat Ji,

I am sending this letter as my comment on recent events.

When the first floor of Lungar Hall at Hacienda de Guru Ram was built, it done as a Seva. It rose from nothing but a dream. It was funded by the contributions of the Sangat, and hands of many, giving time and labor.

A special Gurdwara was held to formalize the beginning of building. For a cornerstone, we bought a large block of marble, thought to have come from the same quarry as the marble of the Washington Monument in our nation’s Capitol. The Siri Singh Sahib came, dedicated and placed that cornerstone.

As a Sangat we were more concerned with building for our legacy than we were concerned with building our own houses. We did not come looking for a meal ticket, we gave our own. We built a Home for ourselves and our Generations, Generations of blood and of Generations of Spirit.

There was joy when it became the Home for the Khalsa Council. Brick and mortar became flesh and bone. Then the Siri Singh Sahib applied the monies from the businesses, which we as a family had built, to build the second story. It was such an excellent use. That second story became filled with our future. The offices held the administration of our Dharma.

Last week, Madam Ambassador Susmita G. Thomas, the Counsel General of India visited Hacienda de Guru Ram Das. Bibi Ji welcomed her. Local, State and National Political figures came to meet her. The Gurdwara welcomed her. She toured Sikhnet, and met with the Sangat at Langar. But the second story was not opened for her to tour. It is empty. There is no Bhai Sahiba Office. There is no Siri Sikhdar Office. The Sikh Dharma International Offices have been moved out.

The Khalsa Council has now been told that the Lungar Hall is not available to rent for Khalsa Council Meetings, because of litigation. The Khalsa Council has not entered into litigation. The Khalsa Council has not formally taken a stand.

The Khalsa Council meetings will be held this spring at the McCurdy Methodist School Gymnasium.

Last Spring 210 Sangat Members, petitioned the Sikh Dharma International Board to address leadership issues. Because of that Sangat voice, the Sikh Dharma International Board acted. If not for that action, our businesses would have been sold for private personal gain.

This March 20th the Executive Committee of the Khalsa Council will meet to determine an agenda for the Spring Meeting of the Khalsa Council. If you have an opinion about Khalsa Council addressing leadership issues, now is the time to voice that opinion.

Write to;

Jai Singh Khalsa jkhalsa@tkgeast.com, current Chairman of the Khalsa Council,
or;

Gurujot Kaur Khalsa, gurujot@jeweloflife.com Secretary General

Humbly,
Mukhtiar Singh
505-450-2802
Sadh Sangat Ji,

This is a letter that was recently sent out to the Khalsa Council.

Mukhtiar Singh

Dear Members of the Khalsa Council,
Sat Nam and blessings to all. I am writing to update you on the progress with our venue for our April Khalsa Council Meetings. As I mentioned in a previous email, Jai Singh, the Chairperson of the Khalsa Council wrote an email to Sopurkh Kaur as the administrator of the SSS Corp requesting that they sign a lease agreement allowing the Khalsa Council to use the Langar Hall for our upcoming meetings. I have copied his letter to Sopurkh and the response we recently received.

2-16-10
Sopurkh Kaur:
I am writing to you as the administrator of the SSS Corp. in my capacity as the Khalsa Council Chairperson regarding the upcoming Khalsa Council Meetings. The Khalsa Council desires to use of the Lungar Hall and adjacent facilities for the purposes of housing those meetings this spring.
Attached please find an agreement that the NM Ashram has been using as their standard for the use of the Lungar Hall amended to include The SSS Corp. as a signatory. It will be necessary to have the SSS Corp. sign off on the use if Khalsa Council is to have a secured authorization to use the premises.
Thank you in advance for your attention to this urgent matter. I will need an affirmative response in the form of an executed agreement by next Wednesday February 24th, 2010 or I will be forced to find alternate locations.
Sincerely;

Date: February 23, 2010 6:49:55 PM EST
To: jkhalsa@tkgeast.com
Subject: Langar hall rental

Jai Singh,

In light of current litigation and unresolved issues, the Langar Hall will not be available for rent until further notice.

Thank you,
Exec. Committe of SSS Corp.

In light of their response to not allow the Khalsa Council to meet in the Langar Hall, on Friday, Feb 26th, we signed a contract with McCurdy school to hold our meetings there. We have visited the space, which is very adequate for our meetings. We will be using the gymnasium as our main room, and we are also renting a few classrooms for our break out groups. McCurdy School has been extremely accommodating and we are grateful to have a space that will meet our needs and is so close to the ashram.

The Executive Committee of the Khalsa Council will be meeting on March 20th, where we will be discussing and planning the upcoming agenda. Anyone who has suggestions for agenda items, please submit them to the chairperson of your section, or to Jai Singh, Ravi Kaur or myself. As the leadership body of the Khalsa, it is our duty to insure that the upcoming agenda best serves the future of the Dharma. Everyone’s input is valuable and appreciated.

Blessings,
SS Gurujot Kaur Khalsa
Secretary General
Sikh Dharma International

Continued at reply to this post

Complete thread: