Yogi's Legacy in Question: Letter's to the Editor

by Gursant Singh ⌂ @, Yuba City California USA, Saturday, May 22, 2010, 14:49 (5087 days ago)
edited by Gursant Singh, Monday, June 13, 2011, 08:17

These are letters, from May 10th until May 28th, written to the Editor of the Eugene Register Guard concerning the article "Yogi's Legacy in Question" published on May 9th 2010. You may see the entire article at:

http://gurmukhyoga.com/forum/index.php?mode=thread&id=232

LETTERS IN THE EDITOR’S MAILBAG: Tuesday’s paper
Appeared in print: Tuesday, May 25, 2010

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bhajan was a leader ‘by fluke’

Recently, a friend sent me articles from The Register-Guard on litigation involving Yogi Bhajan’s organizations in Oregon. The letters to the editor that followed, critical of the reporter, prompt me to throw some light on the subject.

Bhajan was extremely good at what he did, but propagation of Sikhism it was not. Criticism of Bhajan’s cult cannot be construed as criticism of Sikhism.

Trilochan Singh, a distinguished Sikh scholar, in his 1977 book “Sikhism and Tantric Yoga,” describes Bhajan devastatingly: “Yogi Bhajan is a Sikh by birth, a Maha Tantric by choice but without training, and a ‘Sri Singh Sahib’ and self-styled leader of the Sikhs of the Western Hemisphere by fluke and mysterious strategy.” There was no mystery to his strategy. He ingratiated himself with the Sikh religious leadership in Punjab, which was more corrupt than the Vatican during the time of Martin Luther.

According to the Tantrics, the best form of worship is the fullest satisfaction of the sexual desires of man, therefore sexual intercourse is prescribed as a part of Tantric worship. In the annals of abuse of women, some had harems, others had concubines and Bhajan had secretaries. The Sikh gurus condemned the Tantrics and their practices. All the cases mentioned in The Register-Guard had merit.

Humility is the hallmark of a Sikh, and Bhajan had none of it. Guru Nanak, the founder of Sikhism, describes people such as Bhajan succinctly: “Those ... who have no virtues but are filled with egotistical pride.”

HARDEV SINGH SHERGILL

President, Khalsa Tricentennial Foundation of North America

Editor-in-chief, The Sikh Bulletin

El Dorado Hills, Calif.

The following is the original letter which was edited by the Eugene Register-Guard

LETTER TO THE EDITOR
The Register-Guard
Eugene, Oregon
Recently, a friend who knew that I have written about Bhajan Yogi in my magazine, The Sikh Bulletin, in the past, sent me a couple of articles on Yogi’s organizations involved in litigation in Oregon, that appeared in The Register-Guard. This was no surprise to me. But the letters to the editor that followed, critical of the reporter and some implied criticism of writing negative about minorities, prompts me to briefly throw some light on the subject. Bhajan Yogi was extremely good at what he did but propagation of Sikhism it was not. Criticism of Bhajan Yogi’s cult cannot be construed as criticism of Sikhism.

Bhajan Yogi’s cult was based in Los Angeles and New Mexico but Oregon has had its own share of cults of Indian origin. Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh moved into the central Oregon town of Antelope and created a commune of free love, immigration scam, mass murder plots and 93 Rolls Royces, gifted to him by his very wealthy twenty and thirty-some things, during 1981-85, before his deportation by Presidential intervention.

Dr. Trilochan Singh, a distinguished Sikh scholar, in his book ‘Sikhism and Tantric Yoga’, published in 1977, describes Bhajan Yogi, succinctly and devastatingly, in the following words: “Yogi Bhajan is a Sikh by birth, a Maha Tantric by choice but without training, and a ‘Sri Singh Sahib’ and self styled Leader of the Sikhs of Western Hemisphere by fluke and mysterious strategy”.

There was no mystery to his strategy. All he had to do was to ingratiate himself with the Sikh Religious leadership in Panjab that was more corrupt than the Vatican during the time of Martin Luther (1483-1546), founder of the Protestant Church.

According to the Tantrics the best form of worship is the fullest satisfaction of the sexual desires of man therefore in Tantric worship sexual intercourse with any woman is prescribed as a part of worship. In the annals of abuse of women some had harems, others had concubines and Bhajan Yogi had Secretaries. The Sikh Gurus condemned the Tantrics and their practices. When I received copies of the court documents of cases against Yogi from the Federal Govt. archives in Colorado I was incredulous about one disciple of Yogi luring her own sister into a rape victim but just then news papers reported exactly a similar story where a sister conspired to have her own sister raped by her boy friend. All the cases mentioned in The Register-Guard had merit, otherwise Yogi would not have settled out of court. In some cases, such as lottery scam, some of yogi’s lieutenants shouldered the entire blame and served prison time but some innocent families were destroyed, including their faith in Sikhism (falsely taught).

Yogi devised ‘The Siri Singh Sahib Bhai Sahib Harbhajan Singh Khalsa Yogi Ji’ as his full name/title. That is eleven words. The person whose teachings Yogi was supposedly practicing and preaching had conquered his ago and used only one word in his name – Nanak. But yogi was full of it. Humility is the hallmark of a Sikh and Yogi did not have any of it. Guru Nanak, the founder of Sikhism, himself describes people like Bhajan Yogi in succinct language, “Nanak, those are real asses, who have no virtues but are filled with egotistical pride. GGS P. 1246.”

Sikhism is unique among the world’s religions because it is unlike any of them, except certain principles of ethics and moral norms which are common to all religions as well as the atheists. Sikhism is the only religion of The Book from the East, ‘Guru Granth Sahib’, like the three Semitic religions of, ‘The Torah’, The Holy Bible’ and ‘The Holy Quran’. But similarity ends right there; fundamental difference being the concept of God. Superficially all four religions believe in one God, but which one? God of Jews favours only his chosen people who are still waiting for their Messiah; Christian God would save only those who believe in his son Jesus Christ, the Messiah who has already come, and the Muslim God has the last word because Mohammed is the last Messiah and there shall be no more. President Bush has a different God than Osama-bin-Laden.

Guru Nanak rejected all the religions of his day, including the one he was born into. Guru Nanak’s God is the God of entire creation, “God is ONE. His name is Truth. He is the creator. He is fearless and not inimical. He is without death and without birth. He is self-existent. Humans can attune to him through Guru’s grace.” “God existed in the beginning; He existed when time started running its course; He exists even now and He shall exist forever and ever”.

When the Pope had Galileo (1564-1642) jailed for advocacy of Copernicus’ (1473-1543) theory, condemned by the Roman Catholic Church as heretical, that earth revolves around the sun, Guru Nanak (1469-1539) was postulating views on the origin of the Universe that will make the Big Bang theorists proud and stating unambiguously that there are countless Earths, Moons and Suns. He called the natural laws that govern their motions in space ‘hukam’ (Cosmic Law). Cosmos is the manifest form of God, hukam (Cosmic Law) is the invisible form that pervades the cosmos. And long before Darwin’s (1809-1882) theory of origin of species, Nanak had declared that life began in water and evolved through many life forms in the water, over and under the land and in the air with human beings the ultimate life form. Death is a loss of consciousness. When a person dies he/she does not go to heaven or hell, because heaven and hell exist only on this earth, in this life and we make them. A person gets human form only once. Upon death, the spark we call soul merges with the cosmic law/God and body turns to star dust.

Guru Nanak was born into a Hindu household but with that faith Sikhism shares nothing, not even the concept of One God. At a very young age he refused to wear the janeu (Hindu sacred thread worn by high caste males); discarded the caste system (a religiously sanctioned discrimination still entrenched in the 21st century democratic India); preached against idol worship; recognized the equality of mankind; asserted the equality of men and women; condemned the Hindu practice of Sati (live immolation of widow on her husband’s funeral pyre); instructed the women to discard veil; allowed widow and widower remarriage; rejected the then prevalent concepts of karma, after life salvation, tapasya, heaven and hell (after death), incarnation, transmigration, 84 lakh juni (8,400,000 life forms) yatra to holy places, fasting, multiple gods and goddesses; and of course, unique only to Sikhism, wished ‘sarbat da bhala’ (wishing well being of all, not just of oneself, one’s own family or one’s own country) in his prayers. His was a faith of Universal Humanism.

Sikhism has neither anything like Ten Commandments nor Sharia. Instead the Guru simply says do not commit an act that you will later regret and do not eat or drink that is unhealthy for your body and mind. Simple as that! Guru Nanak rejected the concepts of virgin birth, resurrection (death is final), specific times and facing specific direction for prayer, starving the body for a day or day time and then gorging at night fall, pilgrimage for spiritual gain and feeding the Brahman to sustain deceased relatives.

In Sikhism, no one place is holier than the other because all places are created by God and God permeates everywhere. Eugene, Oregon is just as holy as Hardwar, Banaras, Mecca, Medina and Jerusalem; no time or day is more auspicious than the other; but only that time is blessed when one remembers God/Truth; Truth is higher than everything, but higher still is truthful living because that is union with God.

Hardev Singh Shergill
President
Khalsa Tricentennial Foundation of N. A. Inc.
Editor-in-Chief
The Sikh Bulletin
editor@sikhbulletin.com
May 24, 2010

Sorenson strikes sour notes
How many women detected sour notes in Pete Sorenson’s May 17 letter defending Yogi Bhajan?

Sour note No. 1: Sorenson reflexively dismisses the claims of women who say they were abused by this man. Is it Sorenson’s habit to automatically side with the male authority figure in such cases and belittle both victims and those who give them a voice? Haven’t we had enough such misogyny from our politicians?

Sour note No. 2: Sorenson called The Register-Guard’s article about Yogi Bhajan an “attack.” Who has been attacked? Might it have been the women who were victimized by a man they trusted and revered? Shouldn’t such crimes be exposed? Whose side is he on?

Sour note No. 3: Sorenson makes a preposterous “first they came for the Sikhs” argument. If Sorenson is going to defend victimizers, where were his letters defending pedophile Catholic priests and philandering Protestant pastors? Apparently, only bejeweled swamis need apply.

Sorenson reveals himself as unsympathetic toward victimized women, selective in his defense of accused abusers and basically clueless. Is this the kind of man who should be governing us?

Margarita Garrity-Anderson

Eugene

Religious leaders’ are on both sides

Those of us who have worked with or for Yogi Bhajan’s Golden Temple and Yogi Tea companies or who have friends or family ensnared by his Sikh Dharma group are grateful for the update on the lawsuit splitting Bhajan’s followers (“Golden Temple lawsuit advances,” Register-Guard, June 30).

It simplifies the coverage of this complex case to describe it as “religious leaders” of his yoga empire suing four renegade “business leaders.”

In fact, Bhajan bestowed religious titles on many of his devotees. His “religious leaders” are in evidence on both sides of this legal battle over who controls the assets left when the guru died.

ALYX CLARK

Eugene

Yogi never claimed to be a guru

I first met Yogi Bhajan in 1971. My personal interactions with him were always liberating, and I never felt pressure to join the mainstream organization, which, given kundalini yoga’s African origins, according to Yogiji, seemed at the time to have diversity issues. Yogiji encouraged my academic and professional progress, saying I had “a great destiny.” In 40 years of addictions practice, I hope I have been of some service.

When it existed, the Happy, Healthy and Holy Organization’s addiction program transformed addicts into yoga teachers. I was less interested in the mainstream 3HO organization, granola and packaged yogi tea (not strong enough), and more interested in talking with Krishna Kaur Khalsa, who was with Yogiji when he died, and never one of his alleged victims. Krishna founded the International Association of Black Yoga Teachers and Yoga for Youth, which respectively do outreach to people of color and provides yoga teachers to incarcerated and at-risk youth.

Gandhiji beat his wife. Martin possibly cheated on Coretta. The real or alleged personal failings of leaders are no indications of the merits of the best practices of their lives.

Yogiji always made it clear to me that he was a teacher who trained teachers to make teachers, not a guru. He never said he was a guru; the guru is in you.

Kundalini yoga is a technique for developing your own self-mastery and autonomy. It doesn’t serve humanity for you to blindly give up your empowerment to a man or an organization.

I make my own Yogi Tea.

Mark Harris

Grateful for Sikhs’ presence

The Sikh community has been the focus of much attention in the media in recent weeks. I have no direct knowledge of their business endeavors nor of their founder and cannot comment on either. But I have had the pleasure and honor of working with many Sikh leaders involved in many of the interfaith activities of our community.

I have found all to be people of integrity, gentle in spirit and peaceful in deed. They have made a wonderful contribution to our community in many ways and I, for one, am thankful for their presence. I wish them healing, well-being and peace.

Daniel Bryant

Senior Minister

First Christian Church

Eugene

Yogi’s story should not be ignored

In this day and age, how can any religious group demand a free pass on the unwholesome behavior of its spiritual leader, no matter how great his charisma and contributions, and no matter whether he is Jewish, Christian or Yogi Bhajan? And since when should reporters be accused of “threatening” a particular religious community when they report about the sexual abuse within that community?

By ignoring and trying to suppress discussion of this important issue about its guru, the Eugene Yogi Bhajan community is itself complicit in this problem.

If the leadership and members within the community of Yogi Bhajan had previously and publicly acknowledged his personal failings, and the gulf between his teachings and his personal behavior, they could have been a source for reform and a way forward for their organization. Instead, they have turned their backs on the women who have come forward to report what has happened to them.

This is a classic case of a charismatic leader who uses spiritual teachings for psychological manipulation, and followers who are blindly willing to ignore their own moral compass and judgment. And there is no reason that the media should collude in any way with this facade or be intimidated in any way from reporting that the emperor has no clothes.

To demand that the media ignore this story is itself a form of corruption and intimidation.

Miriam Reinhart

Junction City

Yogi had two sides

From 1972 until 1981 my name was Gopal Kaur Khalsa. I lived in the San Rafael ashram in Northern California and in the Eugene ashram as well. I was on the staff of Yogi Bhajan’s Women’s Camp for three years. This camp was held in Espanola, N.M., during the summer months. These are my credentials that allow me to speak to Register-Guard readers about Yogi Bhajan.

My experience of Yogi Bhajan is that he was an egomaniac with lots of wonderful knowledge that he shared with many. We gave him our personal power, and he accepted it and abused it. For example, on more than one occasion I was present when he berated and humiliated people in front of others.

I learned many helpful things while following this man and his teachings for so many years. I met sincere and well-meaning people along the way. The folks from the Eugene ashram were as honest and filled with integrity as any people I’ve ever met.

On the other hand, I absolutely believe that he was sexually inappropriate with his private secretaries and took advantage of the powerful position that he was in. These were young women who believed that he was their spiritual teacher. I’m sorry for what he did to all of them.

It is not OK to look only at the knowledge he imparted and the organization that he built, and then not also acknowledge the outrageous harm that he caused.

Jill Schwimmer

Eugene

Yogi’s teachings have transformed

I don’t know whether or not any of the things that were written about Yogi Bhajan are true. Indeed, not even the author of the May 9 article knows whether or not they are true. And yet people will take sides, take offense, take positions and make all manner of judgments and jump to all sorts of conclusions based on something written about people they never even met and about a topic and a religion that, until this article was published, they perhaps didn’t know anything about. Which is why I would suggest that in discussing this topic, we all stick with what we actually know, that when we speak, we speak from our own experience and ask others to please do the same.

So, what I know about Yogi Bhajan is this: His teachings make me laugh and cry and wonder and give thanks that he shared them. They touch my heart and challenge my mind. They are beautiful and honest and I deeply treasure them.

What I know about Yogi Bhajan’s teachings is this: Studying Kundalini yoga has transformed my mind, my heart and my body. Where there was once confusion, pain and anger there is now clarity, joy and love. Where there was once weakness and illness, there is now strength and health.

What I know about Yogi Bhajan is that what he had to share with the world, or at least with me, is the priceless gift of well-being.

This is what I know. That is who Yogi Bhajan is to me.

Tara Jones

Eugene

Report on Yogi Bhajan offensive

I am writing in response to the May 9 article in The Register-Guard regarding Yogi Bhajan and the local Sikh community, being deeply saddened to read such one-sided, slanderous words.

We, as a country, are a richly diverse people. I live in the Eugene area because it is a diverse and open-minded community that embraces people of all cultures, faiths and traditions. One-sided, negative articles written about a group of people are unfair to all members of that community, doing nothing but drawing people further apart instead of cultivating an environment for living together.

The fact that the Sikh religion was equated to a cult in this article was quite offensive to me, a non-Sikh. I can only imagine how offensive that was for Sikh families to read. Any minimal amount of comparative religious study will show that this is very far from the truth. It saddens me that no care was taken to denounce these particular statements.

Please take care in the future to tell both sides of a story and perhaps show more compassion as to how the words written directly affect a community of people.

Words are very powerful. Purposefully creating division without consideration of how those words will directly affect the people in the newspaper’s own community is both irresponsible and unkind.

I sincerely hope that future articles will be more balanced and compassionate about a caring, wonderful community of people who have contributed so much to the people around them.

Kesha LaFleur Brindell

Westfir

Sikhism is a major religion

I find it funny that Eugene, which prides itself on its progressiveness, has a newspaper that chooses to demean its religious minorities — on the front page, no less. I used to live in Salem, where I was the only practicing Sikh for some years. But Salem — which Eugene so often decries as a conservative town — was always respectful of its religious minorities in its newspapers.

Yes, Yogi Bhajan wore fancy jewelry. His students gave it to him. I saw them do it. I always thought it was a cruel thing to do to him, putting all that extra weight around his neck, since he was a heart patient.

Sure, we were sometimes asked to give money. I defy you to find any major religion — or any political party, for that matter — that doesn’t ask for money. Giving was always voluntary. No one was forced.

And by the way, Sikhism is a major religion. There are approximately 25 million of us on the planet, which means there are more Sikhs than Jews. We’ve been around for 500 years, 311 years in our current form. I don’t think that counts as a cult.

Siri Kirpal Kaur Khalsa

Eugene

Earlier story was better

I am writing regarding the May 9 article written by Sherri McDonald about the Sikh community and Yogi Bhajan.

What purpose does The Register-Guard have in publishing such a sensationalist article? Is this the only way papers can be sold? This article is filled with allegations and misinformation. McDonald should have educated herself before writing such an article. She doesn’t even have to go very far.

On June 1, 1997, Register-Guard reporter Jeff Wright wrote an extensive article on the Eugene Sikh community, entitled “The Sikhs Among Us.” He spent a month with us, visiting us in our homes, attending classes and religious services, reading information.

He spent a month researching us because he wanted to make sure he got it right. The resulting article was true and full of factual information about the Sikh lifestyle.

What did McDonald “investigate?” An event that occurred 25 years ago that is not “news.” An event for which the woman apologized to the entire Sikh community. Sikhs have lived and worked, served and contributed to this community for 40 years. Much more important and vital would be to write the truth about what Yogi Bhajan contributed and accomplished during his lifetime and what Sikhs in this community do to make it a better place.

Viriam Kaur Khalsa

Eugene

Story unfair to faith community

I have regretfully read the front page article about Yogi Bhajan and the Sikh community in Eugene and discarded it as tabloid news, being one-sided, looking for a quick attention and coming from a desperate place. It was, however, unfair attacking not only Yogi Bhajan’s integrity based on a few persons’ point of view but the integrity of an entire faith community which has sought to unite and uplift our larger community for many years, which keeps on doing so and will do so for many years to come.

I certainly hope and pray that the newspaper lives up to the highest standards of impartial and truthful reporting and contributes to our community as an uplifting agent.

Harinder Kaur Khalsa

Eugene

This tear must be mended

I feel sad when I witness the grief and frustration in our Sikh community during the aftermath of The Register-Guard’s article of May 9. I believe the article’s facts are incomplete and appear to pointedly push our Sikh community into a role of “other.”

Can we afford to cultivate a sense of our own importance at the expense of another group’s inclusion and well-being? I fear that the article’s tone and portrayal of Yogi Bhajan as a hypocritical cult leader will contribute to misunderstandings about the Sikhs in our neighborhoods.

Such misunderstandings pose a loss for all involved, as fear trumps our primal need for connection. We will turn away from each other at the grocery store, and our children will be discouraged from befriending those who have different customs or clothing. Propaganda before World War II sought to divide cultures within a nation and the effects, we can agree, were devastating.

Much damage has been done by an article ill-researched and sensationalizing the people I see as neighbors and friends. Still, much can be rectified, and I hope that as our community rises to support greater Eugene in all its diversity, we may learn from this dilemma together.

The Register-Guard is, after all, our primary newspaper. Would it be willing to print corrections and make amends to a culture it has (at least) not fully or fairly represented?

It is my hope that the newspaper and every one of us take responsibility to mend this tear in our social fabric.

Kristin Krebs Collier

Eugene

Confronting abuse takes courage

I am a survivor of male sexual abuse. Coming forward to confront an abuser is an act of strength that challenges male power.

I am outraged that Lane County Commissioner Pete Sorenson (letters, May 17) would side with Yogi Bhajan — an alleged serial abuser. Yogi Bhajan’s devotees in Eugene are conducting a targeted campaign to deflect attention from their dead guru by claiming that Register-Guard reporter Sherri Burri McDonald’s May 9 investigation persecutes their religion. And, cynically, they are using his women followers to spread the word.

How did Sorenson fall for this? Sorenson should know there are far more survivors of rape and sexual assault in his district than there are members of Yogi Bhajan’s shrinking yoga ashram. I can only imagine how pleased the Bhagwan would have been if Rajneeshpuram had been in Sorenson’s county.

Alyx Clark

Eugene

Some leaders take advantage

I never met Yogi Bhajan, and I am not involved in any way with his teachings. I teach women’s and gender studies at the University of Oregon, with an emphasis on sexuality and religion, and so I am familiar with patterns of sexual abuse, particularly when the accused is a clergy person. It goes without saying that spiritual leaders should use their influence only for their congregants’ benefit.

Sadly, according to experts, it is not uncommon for charismatic leaders to take advantage of their authority by initiating and encouraging sexual contact with their followers. Because of this power dynamic, it is extremely difficult for victims to come forward and break the silence they’ve endured over the years, especially when other congregants are reluctant to believe them. But when a leader fails, it is the responsibility of the community to support and protect its members.

I hope that the women of the Eugene Sikh community receive the care they need and that speaking out will allow them to heal.

Elizabeth Reis

Eugene

See more photos and discussion on facebook at:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=108156&id=1214270541&l=5a22781e63

“Amid the legal infighting following Yogi Bhajan’s death, critics are offering another portrait of the Sikh leader.”
[image]
3HO Sikhs are now fighting amongst themselves in a lawsuit over the millions of dollars in profits made from using the sacred Sikh religious symbols and scriptures for their own personal gain.3HO Sikhs, who follow Yogi Bhajan, funnel the money to support Yogi Bhajan's tantric cult church which 3HO Sikhs have deceptively camouflaged using names like "Sikh Dharma International", "3HO foundation", "Sikh Dharma Stewardship","SikhNet.com","Sikh Dharma Worldwide", "Unto Infinity Board","Khalsa Council" and "KRI(Kundalini Research Institute)". See "Sikhnet's" and "Sikh Dharma International's" slick new websites which were produced with the millions in ill-gained profits using the name of the Golden Temple, names and images of the Sikh Gurus, and sacred Sikh shabads for profit in commercial enterprises.

Read the full front page article about Yogi Bhajan's lust for power and greed of his 3HO Sikhs in Today's Eugene Register-Guard:

""Yogi's Legacy in Question"".[/link]

"New lawsuit hits Golden Temple with fraud!"

Read about the infighting in 3HO and Sikh Dharma--
Today's Eugene Register-Guard:

""Rift in 3HO Sikh community threatens business empire""

LETTERS IN THE EDITOR’S MAILBAG: Friday’s paper
Appeared in print: Friday, May 28, 2010

"Bhajan was a leader ‘by fluke’

Recently, a friend sent me articles from The Register-Guard on litigation involving Yogi Bhajan’s organizations in Oregon. The letters to the editor that followed, critical of the reporter, prompt me to throw some light on the subject. Bhajan was extremely good at what he did, but propagation of Sikhism he was not. Criticism of Bhajan’s cult cannot be construed as criticism of Sikhism.

Trilochan Singh, a distinguished Sikh scholar, in his 1977 book “Sikhism and Tantric Yoga,” describes Bhajan devastatingly: “Yogi Bhajan is a Sikh by birth, a Maha Tantric by choice but without training, and a ‘Sri Singh Sahib’ and self-styled leader of the Sikhs of the Western Hemisphere by fluke and mysterious strategy.” There was no mystery to his strategy. He ingratiated himself with the Sikh religious leadership in Punjab, which was more corrupt than the Vatican during the time of Martin Luther.

According to the Tantrics, the best form of worship is the fullest satisfaction of the sexual desires of man, therefore sexual intercourse is prescribed as a part of Tantric worship. In the annals of abuse of women, some had harems, others had concubines and Bhajan had secretaries. The Sikh gurus condemned the Tantrics and their practices. All the cases mentioned in The Register-Guard had merit.

Humility is the hallmark of a Sikh, and Bhajan had none of it. Guru Nanak, the founder of Sikhism, describes people such as Bhajan succinctly: “Those ... who have no virtues but are filled with egotistical pride.”

Hardev Singh Shergill President, Khalsa Tricentennial Foundation of North America Editor-in-chief, The Sikh Bulletin El Dorado Hills, Calif.

"Sikhism and Tantric Yoga"
by Dr. Trilochan Singh (Link to entire book)

"The book Sikhism And Tantric Yoga is available at: www.gurmukhyoga.com.This website which is operated by a genuine White Sikh is highly recommended. Gursant Singh was a member of the Yogi Bhajan Cult (3HO and the Sikhnet Gora Sikhs or White Sikhs) for over 30 years and has intimate knowledge about the inner workings of this cult which attempts to miscegnate Sikhism with Hindu idolatry. I downloaded the book from Gursant’s website and found it to be absolutely compelling. I read it in one compulsive and sustained draught. It is a study not only about cults in Sikhism but about the miscegenation of the Sikh Religion by Hinduism. It is a classic work rendered in beautiful English prose and it is patently the work of a profound intellectual scholar with a deep knowledge of Sikhism."
Quotation taken from: http://www.sikharchives.com/?p=5513&cpage=1#comment-2011

You may also view individual chapters to "Sikhism and Tantric Yoga" at these links:

Sikhism & Tantric Yoga A Critical Evaluation of Yogi Bhajan
http://www.gurmukhyoga.com/forum/index.php?id=192

Sikh Doctrines and Yogi Bhajan's Secret Science
http://www.gurmukhyoga.com/forum/index.php?id=193

Yogi Bhajan's Adi Shakti Shaktimans and Shaktis
http://www.gurmukhyoga.com/forum/index.php?id=194

Yogi Bhajan's Clap Trap Theories of Kundalini Yoga
http://www.gurmukhyoga.com/forum/index.php?id=195

Yogi Bhajan's Ego Maniac Utterances
http://www.gurmukhyoga.com/forum/index.php?id=205

Yogi Bhajan's Seven Years in America and His Tinkling Titles
http://www.gurmukhyoga.com/forum/index.php?id=206

Yogi Bhajan's Arrest and Release on Bail
http://www.gurmukhyoga.com/forum/index.php?id=207

Yogi Bhajan Becomes the Only Maha Tantric in the World
http://www.gurmukhyoga.com/forum/index.php?id=208

Sikh Leaders without Conscience
http://www.gurmukhyoga.com/forum/index.php?id=209

Call to Truth and Authentic Sikhism
http://www.gurmukhyoga.com/forum/index.php?id=210

Please read an Excerpt below taken from "Sikhism and Tantric Yoga"

The Name of Golden Temple and its Murals

"In England last year a firm advertised some blue jeans as Jesus Jeans. The whole religious world of England rose in one protest and stopped the manufacture of these jeans. The word Golden Temple has become an instrument of commercial affairs of Yogi Bhajan He has now even named shoe stores as Golden Temple. I was given a "Wha Guru Chew.""

"Yogi Bhajan is using the sacred Sikh mantras and the sacred name of Guru Ram Das as a mantle for his Tantric Sex Yoga which will inevitably lead to mental and physical debauchery of those who take his brand of Sikhism contaminated by crazy sex-energizing asanas seriously."

Read about the "war between 3HO Sikh's Unto Infinity Board and Yogi Bhajan's Sikh Dharma". Yogi Bhajan set up all these organizations and installed their leaders. Decide for yourself if the Tantric Sex Yoga which Yogi Bhajan taught inevitably leads to mental and physical debauchery.

Many of these 3HO profiteers have cut their hair and renounced Sikhi! See these pictures below of Kartar Khalsa CEO of Golden Temple Foods and chairman of Yogi Bhajan's "Unto Infinity Board" who has cut his hair and is no longer a Sikh.
[image][image]
(Is it any wonder that Kartar and Peraim, Controlling members of Yogi Bhajan's "Unto Infinity Board",are wearing circus masks in the above photo?)http://cirrus.mail-list.com/khalsa-council/Kartar-Peraim.2-10.jpg

See these articles in today's Eugene Register Guard which shows the greed surrounding this dispute:

"Money trail at heart of Sikhs’ legal battle."

Wha Guru being used sacriligiously for huge profits by 3HO Sikhs
[image] [image]"Five flavors and they're all nuts!"

[image][image][image]

"What did the magician say to the Wha Guru Chew? Open sesame."

[image]

Yogi Bhajan used the sacred name of the Golden Temple, names and images of the Sikh Gurus, and sacred Sikh shabads for commercial enterprises to make millions of dollars. Wha Guru is even used as the name of a candy bar by Golden Temple Foods!Links appearing on the internet advertise Golden Temple along with wine and alcohol such as in this Google search link: "Golden Temple Granola - Food & Wine - Compare Prices" Other internet links associate Golden Temple massage oil with sex and sensual massages as in this Google search: "Sensual Soothing... Golden Temple Soothing Touch Massage Oil."

See for yourself the pictures below of the Darbar Sahib(Golden Temple) in Amritsar and Guru Tegh Bahadar featured on yogi tea boxes:
[image][image][image]
[image] [image]

[image][image][image][image]

[image][image]
3HO Sikhs are associating yogis, ashrams, tantric sex yoga rituals,drinking of wine and magicians of the occult with the Sikh Gurus and the Golden Temple See the Rare Photo (above) featuring the Harimandir sahib in 1908 when it was under the control of the Pundits or mahants. Sadhus and yogis felt free to sit wearing only a dhoti and no head coverings.The Gurdwara Reform Movement stopped such practices in India and gave the Gurdwaras back to Gursikhs.

[image][image]
[image]
Tantric Asanas taught by Yogi Bhajan for transmuting sexual energy:Reprinted from Yogi Bhajan’s official magazine “Beads of Truth” 11, p. 39

[image]
Yogi Bhajan illustrated here controlling tantric shakti "energy". Notice the depiction of Shiva,above Yogi Bhajan's head, Shiva is the god of yoga for Hindus. The illustration also shows Kundalini Yoga Asanas taught by Yogi Bhajan for transmuting sexual energy

[image] [image]

Yogi Bhajan's students are intstructed to meditate on Yogi Bhajan's picture everyday which you can see displayed in the 3HO Espanola Gurdwara in the photo above.
[image][image][image]

Idolatry is forbidden in sikhism....why does an 8-foot high statue of the Hindu god Ganesh, adorn the entranceway to the Siri Singh Sahib (yogi bhajan) lane in espanola. This is the hindu god of "prosperity", as in the 3HO publication "prosperity pathways".Adi Shakti Chandi 3HO Tantric Deity worshipped by 3HO in songs and prayers(shown above). Read about Yogi Bhajan's Shaktiman and Shakti women.

Read these shocking fire pujas and occult numerology,(below), practiced and advertised in the latest newsletter published by 3HO Sikhs. These "kriyas" or pujas are complete rubbish,only adding to the destruction and dissolution of the Sikh faith and should not be practiced by Sikhs of the Guru. The object of these practices is to combine the Sikh faith with Hinduism; to defang, neuter and completely destroy Sikhi. The strategy is to introduce idolatry and a stratified priesthood into the Sikh Religion. Yogi Bhajan and his 3HO shakti cult followers are introducing idolatry and Hindu practices of pujas and tantra mantra into the Sikh religion. The Bhajan movement is attempting to shift Sikh worship from the commonwealth of Gurdwaras to private estates controlled by 3HO priests of Yogi Bhajan's Tantric sex cult church.
[image] [image]

[image][image]
Idolatry is forbidden in Sikhism....why does a golden statue of a yogi adorn the entranceway to the 3HO Gurdwara in Espanola. This is a Hindu practise.
3-HO Sikhs demonstrate(in the photo above)their complete subservience to false worldly material power by exhibiting the Flag of God (The Nishaan Sahib) at an even level with the flag of the United States in front of the 3HO Gurdwara in New Mexico. The Nishaan Sahib, (The Respected Mark of God under the shadow of the Sikh Broadsword) should always fly higher than the flag of all the false materialists. The Flag of the Khalsa should occupy a place of exaltation above any government's flag that temporarily inhabits the material world.

[image]

[image] [image] [image]
Tantric Yoga asanas (above) taught by Yogi Bhajan
and practised in 3HO Gurdwaras

"Tantric doctrines involving sex-poses or physical contact poses are extremely repulsive to Sikhism. The Sikh Gurus repeatedly ask the Sikhs to shun Tantric practices because they are based on a mentally perverted outlook of life. The Sikh Gurus ask the Sikhs to shun the very presence and association of Shakti-Cult Tantrics." Dr. Trilochan Singh "Sikhism and Tantric Yoga"

[image] [image]
Tantric Asana taught by Yogi Bhajan for transmuting sexual energy:Reprinted from Yogi Bhajan’s official magazine “Beads of Truth” 11, p. 39

See how Hindu gods and yogis are displayed in 3HO Gurdwaras, (see link in blue).

See this post which exposes the most shocking relationship Yogi Bhajan had with Jagjit Naamdhari who is considered by his disciples as the 11th Sikh Guru. The Naamdhari Sikhs keep the Siri Guru Granth in a closet while they bow to Jagjit and refer to him as "SatGuru Ji" as you can see in the photos at this link.

Read these comments by traditional Sikhs. "What better way to make money: add a religious tone to the product. All of a sudden, it seems legit."

If you want to stop these degrading and sacriligious practices by Golden Temple Foods and Yogi Bhajan's cult followers; Post a letter of support on this website or write your local food stores and demand they stop selling Golden Temple Food's products. Some of the major stores which carry these products are Trader Joes, Whole Foods Market and Wild Oats but there are many many other stores who sell millions of dollars in Golden Temple Granola, Peace Cereal, Yogi Teas, massage oil and Wha Guru Chews.

Yogi Bhajan's sacrilegious teachings in the name of Sikhism are illustrated quite distinctly by pictures of Yogi Bhajan's portrait, hindu idols being displayed in and around 3-HO Gurdwaras and the practice of kundalini and sex energizing tantric yoga asanas inside 3-HO Gudwaras by Yogi Bhajan's students.
[image] [image]

Idolatry is forbidden in Sikhism. Why does an eight foot high image (above) of Yogi Bhajan controlling the tantric shakti "energy" adorn the 3HO Gurdwara in Espanola? You can see the menacing image of Yogi Bhajan overshadowing the Sangat on the right side of the entire Espanola Gurdwara in the photo above.

[image]
Idolatry is forbidden in sikhism....why does a golden statue of a yogi adorn the entranceway to the 3HO Gurdwara in espanola. This is a hindu practise.

[image]

[image]

Yogi Bhajan's students are intstructed to meditate on Yogi Bhajan's picture everyday which you can see displayed in the 3HO Espanola Gurdwara in these photos.
[image]
[image][image]
In a painting at the New Mexico 3HO Gurdwara(above)you can see the sacrilegious misrepresentation of our sacred Khalsa symbol "Khanda" with two swords around it. You may also observe in this painting how Yogi Bhajan is depicted on an equal level with Guru Ram Daas(the 4th Sikh Guru): Dr. Trilochan Singh recounts this observation in 1977 when he writes, "The other picture was the Khalsa symbol Khanda with two swords around it. The Khanda (double-edged sword) within this symbol was replaced by a picture of an American woman with Sari-like robes. The woman is called Adi Shakti. I saw this published in the Beads of Truth in London and have already commented on it in my book, The Turban and the Sword of the Sikhs. I told Shakti Parwha that this is the most sacrilegious misrepresentation of our sacred symbol. As usual she dismissed my opinion as unimportant."

The sikh code of conduct says food offerings to the GURU are forbidden, but there is a 'testimony' page over at sikhnet.com, a 3HO run site loaded with volumes of Yogi Bhajan nonsense talks. Yogi Bhajan instructs 3Hoer's to prepare meals as offerings at the gurdwara and calls this "a dish for a wish". This is nothing more than the Hindu practice of puja. The testimony states "a dish for a wish".
Please read an Excerpt below taken from

"Yogi Bhajan is using the sacred Sikh mantras and the sacred name of Guru Ram Das as a mantle for his Tantric Sex Yoga which will inevitably lead to mental and physical debauchery of those who take his brand of Sikhism contaminated by crazy sex-energizing asanas seriously."

Yogi Bhajan studied and taught at the Sivananda Ashram in Delhi. This, in addition to his first Kundalini Yoga teacher Sant Hazara Singh. In the mid-1960s, Harbhajan Singh took up a position as instructor at the Vishwayatan Ashram in New Delhi, under Dhirendra Brahmachari. This yoga centre was frequented by the Prime Minister, Jawaharlal Nehru, his daughter, Indira Gandhi, and diplomats and employees from a host of foreign embassies.

Here's an article on Sivananda's approach to Kundalini Yoga:

www.dlshq.org/download/kundalini.htm

These are all Hindu practices.

You can also read about the Gurdwara Reform Movement which stopped such practices in India and gave the Gurdwaras back to Gursikhs.

[image]

Gurdwara Reform Movement

A Rare Photo of Harimandir sahib in 1908 when it was under the control of the Pundits or mahants. Sadhus felt free to sit in meditation wearing only a dhoti.The Gurdwara Reform Movement (Gurdwara Sudhar Lehr) is the Legislation passed by the Punjab Legislative Council which marked the culmination of the struggle of the Sikh people from 1920-1925 to wrest control of their places of worship from the mahants or priests into whose hands they had passed during the eighteenth century when the Khalsa were driven from their homes to seek safety in remote hills and deserts.

When they later established their sway in Punjab, the Sikhs rebuilt their shrines endowing them with large jagirs and estates. The management, however, remained with the priests, belonging mainly to the Udasi sect, who, after the advent of the British in 1849, began to consider the shrines and lands attached to them as their personal properties and to appropriating the income accruing from them to their private use. Some of them alienated or sold Gurudwara properties at will. They had introduced ceremonies which were anathema to orthodox Sikhs. Besides, there were complaints of immorality and even criminal behavior lodged against the worst of them. All these factors gave rise to what is known as the Gurudwara Reform movement during which the Sikhs peaceful protests were met with violence and death and ended with them courting arrest on a large scale to gain the world's attention. Before it was all over many would fall as martyrs with some being literally blown apart while they were strapped to cannaon barrels.

‘During the Gurdwara Reform Movement, the Sikh leaders started a publication that was named Akali. From this paper and its policy the leaders began to be called Akalis, in view of which they formed the present Akali party. These Nihang Akalis should not be confused with the members of the Akali party.’ The Turban And The Sword’' , by Dr. Trilochan Singh. (Page 402)

I found this post at SikhSangat.com It exposes the most shocking relationship Yogi Bhajan had with Jagjit Naamdhari who is considered by his disciples as the 11th Sikh Guru. The Naamdhari Sikhs keep the Siri Guru Granth in a closet while they bow to Jagjit and refer to him as "SatGuru Ji" as you can see in the photos below.

The 'Namdhari' cult has been excommunicated from the Khalsa Panth. See for yourself the pictures of Yogi Bhajan depicting his close relationship with Jagjit Naamdhari.

[image] [image]

[image] [image]

[image] [image]

[image] [image]

[image] [image]

[image] [image]

[image] [image]

"However their are several instances which I find questionable about Yogi Bhajan. One includes the relationship they had with Jagjit Naamdhari (http://satguruji.blogspot.com/), and the other about an occurance that occured in the late 70's between Yogi and AKJ, where Yogi criticized Jatha for trying to "steal" members."

Yogi Bhajan wore huge gemstones for their so called “yogic energy and power". Yogi Bhajan adorned himself with these yogic rings and precious gems for different days of the week. Yogi Bhajan covered up the fact that these days are represented by different Hindu deities and the practice of wearing these yogic rings is really only the Hindu idea of pacifying the various gods and goddesses. Not only this, Yogi Bhajan used astrology and numerology in choosing these yogic rings. Yogi Bhajan believed the gemstones had "energy affects" and influenced our destiny, thinking and actions.
[image]
Yogi Bhajan shown here on Sikhnet wearing a yogic ring for power

Around the year 2000, Yogi Bhajan tried to personally sell me a yogic ring for several thousand dollars. We were at Hari Jiwan Singh's house in Espanola where HJ keeps a vast collection of gems worth millions of dollars. Yogi Bhajan told me. "You're naked." And he stated I needed a ring with a particular stone to protect me.
[image]

Yogi Bhajan’s wearing and promoting yogic rings is yet another Hindu practice camouflaged in the sheep’s clothing of "Aquarian or New Age spiritual thinking”. These things should not be practiced by Sikhs of the Guru. As Sikhs we should rely on the Guru alone for strength as Guru Arjan so beautifully states:

I have learnt the technique of true Yoga from the divine Guru. The True Guru has revealed this technique with the Light of the divine Word. Within my body He has revealed the Light that pervades all the regions of the earth. To this Light within me I bow and salute every moment. The initiation of the Guru are my Yogic rings and I fix my mind steadfastly on the One Absolute God.i,

A. G. Guru Arjan, Gaudi, p 208

The following is taken from "Sikhism and Tantric Yoga" by Dr. Trilochan Singh.

We quote Yogi Bhajan on Precious Stones and rings, which for him are his status symbol, and for possessing which he expends quite a lot of his energy and ingenuity. He says in Beads, Summer 1972, "Precious stones are not precious because the rich wear them and the poor do not. Rather, they are precious because when cut in the proper way they concentrate sun energy and can transmit to the individual through the skin. Hence most rings are worn on the ring finger. The quality of energy channeled by each stone differs and so does its effect on the individual. Stones also correspond to the planets and serve in mediating the scattered energy which comes from retrograding planets."
Yogi Bhajan has given the following comments on stones.
Ruby (Sun) concentrates the heart of the sun's rays.
Moonstone and Pearls (Moon) help balance out too much sun energy. They are commonly worn by Libra.
Diamond (Venus and practically everything) can concentrate miles of sun rays into one beam. Recently in Los Angeles someone was robbed of 100,000 worth of jewel within 72 hours.
Emerald (Mercury) has wonderful effect on the brain and is a cooling stone. Good luck for everyone.
Coral (Mars) is for balancing positive and negative forces.
Topaz (Jupiter) is a good luck stone.
Blue Sapphire (Saturn) can give so much energy to a person that he becomes negative. Those who are interested in details can read the Journal Beads, Summer 1972, p. 16. I do not know what is the opinion of the Jewelers on these statements but from the point of Sikhism these notions are worthless absurdities.
Yogi Bhajan does not wear the earrings of the Nath Panthi Yogis, but he wears precious gold rings (sometimes two and sometimes three) heavily studded with jewels, and cannot help displaying them ostentatiously, probably as a symbol of wealth acquired through the techniques of Tantric Yoga, which he sacrilegiously identifies with the techniques of Sikh mysticism. Bhai Gurdas, however, makes it clear to all Sikhs of all ages that Yoga asanas and yoga techniques are absolutely useless and unnecessary for Sikh meditations and the spiritual path of Sikhism:
jog jugat gursikh gurs am jhay a
The Guru has himself explained to the Sikhs the technique of true Yoga, and it is this: A Sikh must live in such a moral and spiritual poise that while hoping and waiting he ceases to aspire or crave for low ambitions and remains unconcerned and detached. He should eat little and drink little. He should speak little and never waste time in nonsensical discussion. He should sleep little at night and keep away from the snare of wealth. He should never crave avariciously after wealth and property.
Bhai Gurdas, Var 20 / 15

We still have very eminent scholars and saints who practice and live according to the Essentials of the Sikh Path with utter humility and devotion. They do not wear long robes. They do not wear gold and diamond rings. They do not contaminate Sikh doctrines and practices with practices of creeds and cults which are repulsive to Sikhism and strictly prohibited. There are piles and piles of correct interpretations of the Sacred Writings of the Sikhs written first by the great contemporaries of the Gurus like Bhai Gurdas, Bhai Mani Singh, Bhai Nand Lai, and our own contemporaries like Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh and Bhai Vir Singh. They not only interpreted it but lived it and suffered for it like living martyrs, never seeking anything but the Grace of God and the Gurus as a reward.
See an excerpt from a meditation taught by Yogi Bhajan listed on one of his student's websites promoting yogic gems at "YogaGems.com".

"Each finger represents a planet, whose energies we imbue with grace within ourselves and through our projection:

The little finger is Mercury, enhancing communication.

The ring finger represents the sun, empowering our physical bodies with healing and grace of motion.

The middle finger stands for Saturn. We strengthen virtues of patience and self-discipline.

The index finger is for Jupiter. We enshrine the light of wisdom within us.

The thumb represents the earth, ego, “dragons head and dragons tail.” We bring grace to the ego, so it supports our spirit.

I brought this realization of grace through the beautiful Light that had descended with me, wherein I experienced each finger’s cosmic connection—to the planet Mercury, the shining Sun, ringed Saturn, luminous Jupiter, and lastly, Earth—wherein dragons symbolize the spiraling DNA of creation, all these energies equally a part of my soul."

See these links by Yogi Bhajan's students promoting "Power necklaces".

Please read an Excerpt below taken from

The Register-Guard
http://www.registerguard.com/
Yogi’s legacy in question |
Former followers say he abused his position for power, money and sex
By Sherri Buri McDonald

The Register-Guard

Posted to Web: Sunday, May 9, 2010 12:14AM
Appeared in print: Sunday, May 9, 2010, page A8

A slow, painful awakening led Premka Kaur Khalsa, a top secretary in Yogi Bhajan’s Sikh organization for almost 20 years, to leave the religious group in 1984, she said.

Premka Khalsa, 66, said she could no longer participate because of the inconsistencies she said she had witnessed between the yogi’s behavior and his teachings — the deception and abuse of power.

In 1986, she sued Yogi Bhajan and his Sikh organizations, settling out of court. In court papers, she alleged that the married yogi had sexually and physically assaulted her, that he was sexually involved with other secretaries and that, as the head of his administration, she worked long hours for little or no pay.

The organization’s religious leaders vehemently deny those allegations. Its business leaders did not respond to requests for comment for this story.

Kamalla Rose Kaur, 55, another former member of Yogi Bhajan’s 3HO (Healthy, Happy, Holy Organization) who wrote for a grass-roots newsletter in the community, said a light switched on for her when she was researching and writing about religious groups and thought, “Hey, we’re acting a lot like a cult.”

Former member Guru Bir Singh Khalsa, 60, who had been appointed a “lifetime minister” by Yogi Bhajan, said he received a wake-up call in the early 1990s, when Sue Stryker, then an investigator with the Monterey County District Attorney’s office, laid out evidence linking members of his spiritual community to criminal activity. Stryker, now retired, said a member of Yogi Bhajan’s Sikh community pleaded guilty and served time in prison for a telemarketing scam that bilked seniors out of hundreds of thousands of dollars.

These and other ex-members of Yogi Bhajan’s organization say they aren’t surprised by events unfolding now, six years after his death. Legal disputes threaten to splinter the community. Allegations of the yogi’s past wrongdoing are resurfacing. And the future of the Sikh organization’s businesses are in question.

The outcome will ripple far beyond the religious group, whose companies have become intertwined with the local economy and business community.

In Multnomah County Circuit Court, the group’s religious leaders are suing the group’s business leaders over control of the community’s multimillion dollar businesses, including Golden Temple natural foods in Eugene and Akal Security in New Mexico.

“Organizations/cults that have charism

Complete thread: